Fall Fashion 2014... Vogue 1127




This is the first of several patterns that I have challenged myself to complete this fall. Most of the fabric was purchased at the American Sewing Expo four or five years ago. Some of my non-pantyhose wearing friends will think my green tights are over the top but I think they give the suit a more polished look.
Pattern Description: MISSES' JACKET, SKIRT AND BLOUSE: Jacket is fitted, cropped, lined, long raglan sleeves and standup collar. Skirt is straight-fitting, lined and 1" below normal waist with waistline facing, back darts, back slit and invisible zipper. Length is 2" above mid-knee. Blouse is semi-fitted, sleeveless, front and back gathers, back neckline slit, gathered standup collar and ties.

Pattern Sizing:
8-22
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Blouse: I have made the blouse before and I don't know why I decided that the collar should be gathered on the notched edge which is where it is attached to the neck opening...had fun picking all that out.
Skirt: The instructions were easy (but I have been sewing for a hundred years), I just didn't want to bind all those facings and seams, but I'm glad that I did. I also serged the skirt seams and hem because this fabric ravels/unravels (image they both mean the same thing), like mad. I also used a technique that I found in Threads magazine to sew the lining to the zipper placket and it really makes things nice and tidy without hand stitching.
Jacket:I was surprised that the only part of the jacket that is lined is the sleeves. I thought all that self-bias from the lining fabric was going to be a pain, but surprisingly it wasn't. Instead of sandwiching the fabric between the bias tape and hoping that it got caught on both sides, I sewed the bias tape on with a 1/4" seam and then lapped the other edge to the back side and sewed through all thicknesses. I almost used covered buttons but since the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo was in town, I looked for buttons there; using a pic from my phone to match the color. These buttons were individually priced at Lousie Cutting's booth.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This is a great suit! I guess pressing all that bias tape was a pain but so worth it!
Fabric Used:
Boucle for the suit that I purchased at the American Sewing Expo in 2010 from Marcy Tilton.
The blouse is a charmeuse that I ordered from Fabric.com or VogueFabrics.com (I can't remember!)
The lining was purchased at Joann's, I thought it would be fun to have something other than solid brown or green.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I added an inch of length at the hip to accomodate my bodacious booty (note to self remember to decrease back waist measurement by one inch for sway back)
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
The blouse maybe, but I don't think I need another suit like this.
Conclusion:
I was too excited to finish this and the fabric was in my stash for only four years!

Comments