Ode to the Slip Because a Thong Does Not Cover the Multitude of Sins



Vogue V8888
I grew up during the late fifties early sixties when the rite to passage from girl to young woman was signified by the first girdle with garters and stockings. Up until that point I wore knee high socks, the occasional bobby socks, fishnets, or tights (we called them leotards). Real grown up ladies wore girdles and stockings, not tights, and everyone wore a slip between the unlined dress or skirt. Mine were always white mostly cotton with eyelet trim and satin ribbons for the straps. Some of them were petticoats and others were a straight shift or had a bodice with a gathered skirt.

The sixties brought about a change-the Sexual Revolution. No longer did women want to wear the structured garments of the past, they burned their bras and some even ceased to wear panties. Who wanted panty lines when they were wearing their hip hugger jeans or their flirty Polyester dress? So Hanes invited us to “show us your underalls”-- panties and hose all in one. This wonderful innovation came about in the late seventies to early eighties and yours truly happily gave up that one extra layer but I held on to my slip. The slip was slowly but surely disappearing as a staple of the well dressed female.

My first encounter with the “thong” outside the lingerie department was in Atlanta, Georgia during a fall excursion to deliver my oldest daughter to college. The thong made an abrupt appearance in my line of vision as I was exiting the car for dinner. There it was in all its glory, unbeknownst to the wearer that all her worldly assets were on display. The fabric of her dress was much to sheer to be worn without a slip.  I’m sure she had not consulted with a trusted friend or matron on whether or not all was well with her derriere as she exited. So there it was exposed on a humid Georgia night for all the world to see.

Since that day I have encountered other unintentional (I hope) public displays of the thong. I think that the invention of the thong was a fashion breakthrough to eliminate panty lines. One must keep things in perspective when wearing a thong without a slip or lining. When one sits it is only natural for the buttocks to spread, and when one stands it is only natural for one’s dress to get lodged in the crevice of the buttocks. This is not attractive. The mere presence of another layer, i.e.  slip would eliminate the unwanted presence of one’s dress in one’s crack.

Today’s advances in knit fabrics that are whisper thin bring on a whole “nuther” level of exposure. Every dimple, pock mark, pimple, and hail damage is visible through these fabric. The slip  will be your best asset to cover your assets.

Comments

  1. You and I would get in a lot of trouble sitting in a mall or on a busy sidewalk looking at fashion faux pas. I had a friend in Fresno, CA. She and I would escape the heat by enjoying. An ice cream in the mall. We would comment to each other in the terrible fashion choices of some of the women. The uncomfortable and silly thong had not yet hit the scene.
    I love slope, and have been thinking of making one to wear with knits. I hate the belly button crater that shows up. Under knit dresses.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot the belly button crater! At some point I will be forced to discuss the fallacy of not wearing hose....
    thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great, as a child of the same era I remember it all so well. Remember when Vanity Fair brought out the matching bra and pantie sets in the 60's, I thought I was hot stuff when my mom let me have two printed sets instead of all white.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment